Aerial yoga is an incredible addition to the practice of yoga as it helps to decompress the spine, increases core strength and provide the action of pulling, a movement that is lacking in the traditional yoga practice
What is Aerial Yoga
Aerial yoga is a type of yoga which require a hammock or yoga swing to perform postures that they may not ordinarily be able to attempt on the yoga mat. It is often known as AntiGravity® yoga. It is inspired by pilates, dance and acrobatics.
The Aerial Yoga Hammock or the silk cloth support is hung from the top of the roof ceiling & it’s a meter above the ground. It is beneficial for long time sitters & those who have back pain. It should not be performed by pregnant women & vertigo people.
What does Aerial yoga include
A proper Aerial class includes:
- Each student has their own hammock & the instructor gives verbal instructions or might perform some certain poses. The students have to follow the instructor.
- It strengthens the whole body & activates muscle joints.
- It attracts people as it is different from routine yoga because we are using a hammock.
- More cooling & calming sequence or postures are included.
Benefits of Aerial Yoga
Following are the benefits of Aerial Yoga:-
- It makes you strong:- It strengthens muscles & makes joints flexible. Aerial Yoga engages all muscles. It is great for core & upper body strength.
- Aerial yoga helps you overcome fear & builds confidence:-Trying a headstand in the air with the help of hammock can be both exciting & scary. It helps you build confidence as with this yoga you will come to know whether you are capable of doing headstand (or any other asana) or not & how helpful the hammock can be for support.
- It acts as a natural healer for psychological problems:- It aligns body & centres your mind. The performer has to let himself free from all distractions & every day worries. Aerial yoga needs focus & attention so as a result the person gets relieved from stress & all mental problems.
- It’s playful & fun:- During childhood we all have enjoyed swinging in the air. Why not try being adults. It gives you pleasure while performing asanas in the air. It makes you happy & crackles smile on your face.
- Total body workout:- It engages all muscles & joints. It decompresses the spine & regenerates the body. It works on every part of the body.
- Inner body reactivation:- Aerial Yoga is good for reactivating body. All physiological processes of the body such as digestion, respiration & circulation are reactivation through blood circulating while performing yoga.
- Helps in reducing excess body fat:- By twisting, turning & holding in different positions we sweat & this it helps in reducing body fat.
- Develop new body skills:- By regular performing it, you come to know new skills which may be different from regular yoga.
- Enjoys your spirit:- It gives new zeal & boosts your moral makes you happy & thus enjoy your spirit. It increases creativity which helps you become your own artist.
Can a beginner perform this yoga?
Yes, you can but you need to be open-minded & relax while doing. It would be better to try normal first to get through the terminologies & breathing techniques.
You need to check with your yoga instructor as hammock & hook will be provided in the class.
- You may require a yoga mat.
- Wear comfortable clothes & carry a small towel or napkin.
- A water bottle.
So, what do you think? Would you like to try this new yoga technique?
It’s different from the regular one. But as with most things in life, you’ll never know unless you try. So if you have learned yoga before and whats to level up your yoga knowledge then try something new. Learn Aerial Yoga.
If you are coming to Rishikesh India for a Yoga trip, We recommend you to attend 50 Hour Aerial Yoga Training with Aadi Yoga School. Aadi Yoga School offers 6 days- 50 Hour YACEP Aerial Yoga Certification course.